I graduated with a B.A. (Hons) in Counselling and Psychotherapy from Dublin Business School.
Post-graduate training includes:
- Trauma training with Babette Rothschild MSW, LCSW the renowned trauma therapist and author
- Certificate Course 'Issues of Sexual Violence: the Counselling Process' at Dublin Rape Crisis Centre
- CBT workshops on the treatment of depression and anxiety at PCI College
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) with Dr Michael Paterson of the EMDR Institute.
- The Gestalt approach to psychotherapy with the Dublin Gestalt Centre.
I am a fully accredited member of the Irish Association of Humanistic and Integrative Psychotherapy (IAHIP).
I am also a member of the Irish Council for Psychotherapy (ICP), and the EMDR Institute of UK & Ireland.
I adopt an integrative approach to my work with clients. This means that I select from a variety of different modalities to meet client needs. For short-term solution focussed therapy I use CBT principles. For longer term exploratory work I employ psychodynamic principles. For deep trauma work I use EMDR. In all cases the critical aspect of my work is the relationship between myself and the client, which is at the core of humanistic psychotherapy.
I have a particular interest in the treatment of trauma. Trauma can result from any situation in which an individual's sense of their own safety is compromised. Examples of traumatic experiences include sexual assault, physical abuse and all types of accidents. Trauma can also result from being a witness to another person suffering an assault. At its most severe trauma can be characterised by Post Traumatic Stress Disorder which will include flashbacks or intrusive images and an abiding sense that the individual is still experiencing the event which triggered the symptoms.
However, trauma will affect individuals in different ways and to varying degrees and in all cases it is the disruptive influence that trauma exerts over normal daily functioning which brings people to therapy.
For further information on the impact of trauma and treatment options check out www.trauma.cc and http://8keys.webs.com/